Thursday, December 24, 2009

Game 1: 2 Stone Handicap Me(12k) vs 15k

Game 1: 2 Stone Handicap Me(12k) vs 15k

What I learned from this game is not to be nervous giving other people stones for a handicap. If I lose, I lose. I think a lot of people have the mentality that they would outright lose to a player if they give them a handicap. I think this is just a way to protect one's ego.

For this game I think I did well. I played white. I think I was to agressive invading at G3 on move 11. I probably could've moved at C10, but I wanted to make sure it was a fighting game, because I would have the upper hand. So, I stick by that move. As for the play up to move 24, I firmly have 6 or 7 points. However, I believe my move was too small and black has a lot of thickness on the outside.

Black played too close to white's stone on move 26. I'm thinking that the best way for black to play is probably at C12, so that black uses his thickness on the bottom to his advantage.

Up to move 33, I was feeling good that black will be inefficient on the bottom, and I will do well on the top side. However, black's move at G9 feels like an overplay to me. Perhaps maybe black could've avoided the situation on his move 28 at F8. Playing shimari to get ahead away from white.

I felt black on the run with his cutting points. However, I'm pretty sure there is a better follow up move after 38 or 40 for white. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with that.

I was somewhat happy with the tesuji after black played 62.

I made a mistake at 79. I should've played at M15.

Black's move was extremely poor at Q5. Not only is it an empty triangle, but it's too small. Of course, I play a lot of small moves as well in games. :)

Good invasion for black on 84?

Black misplayed at D19 on move 96. He should've played B19 to make his group alive. I was lucky to gain a lot of points from that.

And the game goes on from that. Mistakes are made from both sides, but I think it is the fundamentals and instincts that we're lacking. I think I did well on direction of play, but a skilled opponent would've crushed me.

Hope to see comments or analysis of the game.
Go Discussion

Thank you!
David Dang

2 comments:

  1. Hi a lovely blog. :)

    Visit me at

    http://elcaminoaldan.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Add me on your bloglist. I'll send the spanish speaking people your way. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
http://1000gamesto1d.blogspot.com/2010/01/go-game.html